Smoked Mackerel Fish Spread
Serves: 4-6 people Cook Time: 45 minutes Prep Time: 3.5 Hours Difficulty: Easy
Fresh caught mackerel is one of the best tasting fish in the ocean. It is absolutely incredible when marinated, smoked and prepared as a fish spread. Smoked mackerel fish spread is great for entertaining, hanging out or just as a late night snack. Serve with your favorite cracker and some lemon wedges.
4 Spanish Mackerel fillets with the skin left on
¾ cup of milk
½ cup soy sauce
⅓ cup raw honey
4 oz cream cheese
2 Tbls of fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 Tbls minced roasted red pepper
2 tsp sour cream
1 tsp bottled horseradish
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp ground cayenne pepper
¾ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp salt
- Soak your fillets in the milk meat side down in a large roasting pan for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours remove fillets from the milk and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Marinate fish in the soy sauce, honey and Lemon juice for ½ an hour
- Light and prepare your smoker
- Place fish skin side down in the smoker for 30 minutes at 225 degrees.
- Once your fish is cooked through skin and flake fish
- Mix fish with remaining ingredients and chill for 4 to 6 hours
King Mackerel or Bluefish can be substituted. Preferred wood is 3 cherry wood chunks soaked overnight.